Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jitters


Well I have some bad news. We had to put Jitters down yesterday. She had been sick for a couple days, but was doing better on Monday. We decided if she was still sick the next day we'd take her to the vet. But we were too late. Tuesday morning we woke up to find Jitter in a sort of coma. She couldn't move, but she was breathing and she would blink whenever we'd pet her. We rushed her to the vet and waited to hear what was wrong. Her temperature was about 20 degrees lower than normal, and her blood sugar was very low. She was dehydrated and couldn't see. To run all the tests they needed to diagnose her, and to hospitalize her for two days would cost us over $600. And even after all that there was no guarantee she would recover, or if she did recover that she'd get her sight back.
So we then had to make one of the hardest decisions we'll ever have to make. We knew we couldn't afford $600, but we would have happily paid it if we knew Jitters would get better. But the doctor said the chance of that happening was very slim. So we decided to put her down. When they brought her in to say goodbye her tail started wagging when she heard Jake's voice. Our hearts broke right there, knowing our baby was still around but knowing we could do nothing to help her.
It's barely been over a day and we are finding it hard to go on with our normal lives. Jitters was constantly on our minds and we took her almost everywhere. We hate coming home because we know she won't be there to greet us. The smallest things are always reminding me of her, like dropping a piece of food on the floor, or even making the car horn beep when we lock the door. Our cat seems bored and she sometimes goes to where Jitter's bed was, looking for her.
I know for some people this might seem ridiculous. I would have thought so too until we had Jitters. She was so perfect. She had such a great personality and made everyone happy. She was my constant companion for over a year and a half. I find myself feeling like I'm forgetting to do something throughout the day, and then I remember that I should be taking Jitters for a walk but I can't anymore. I had a stomach ache last night but she wasn't there to be my little heater to help me feel better. She's not here to growl at me whenever I've been on the computer too long, or to make me play hide and seek with her. Our apartment is really depressing without her, and I almost want to move somewhere new that doesn't have memories of her.
I'm sorry this is so long. I could go on some more but I won't. Thanks everyone for your concern and kind words. We'll move on eventually, and we will get another dog one day but probably not until we have kids. I put together some collages of some of our favorite Jitter pictures. Hope you like them.

We love you Jitters.


Baby Jitters. The bottom right picture is the day we got her.

Jake and Jitters

Madi and Jitters

Sleeping :)

Fun shots

We'll miss you.

8 comments:

Cori Anne said...

Madi and Jake,
So sorry to hear. I love all of the pictures!! I will miss him in spirit too! Let's get together soon, eh?? I might be coming to Cali to check out some schools and to finally see the west coast!! Keep in touch. Miss you.

<3 CoriAnne

Unknown said...

Madison and Jake-
We too are saddened by the loss of Jitters. We enjoyed her so much whenever she graced our home- she made everyone happy. Glad we got to be with her at Thanksgiving. What a great bunch of pictures to remember her by. Our hearts go out to you.

Love from damama and dapapa

Jesse and Mallory said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Jitters. We had no idea! Bella and Maya will miss their "cousin".

nanci said...

I'm feeling your pain even though I never knew Jitters. We had to put Moxi, who was 15, down last June and I STILL miss him. I'm so glad you have all of those wonderful pictures, be sure to print out your favorites and hang them up around the house.

Kenzi Dawn said...

Oh that is such sad news! I am so sorry. She was such a cute dog!

Megumi said...

Im so sorry to hear about Jitters! :( She was so cute and such a happy dog. We will miss her dearly, and hope that you will find comfort knowing that she is in a better place now and will be taken care of.

We love you guys!!

Chad and Megumi

The Brown Family said...

This is such a sad entry, I'm so sorry for your loss!

Sarah said...

That was one cute pup! It's never fun to say goodbye to a pet! I hope you're doing better now!