Saturday, July 18, 2009

LACMA


So a few of my friends here in CA and I decided to head to L.A. yesterday and visit the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. It was AMAZING! We got sort of lost on the way there but thank goodness for iphones and for the good parking lot guy who gave us our money back when we accidentally parked 6 miles away from our destination. This museums is huge and spread over quite a large area so we didn't even get to see half of the stuff there, but what we did see was great! We started in the European art section which featured mostly Christian art which is awesome and creepy and super symbolic. I wish I remembered all the stuff from my art history classes! One of my favorite sections was the Roman gallery. They have some beautiful statues and jewelry and pottery. Ugh I need to go to Rome!

This was an interesting forest of lampost right outside the museum. It would probably look awesome at night!

I also loved the Japanese Pavilion. Such beautiful ink paintings on silk, and some pretty amazing block prints too.
I was so excited about these panels! I actually learned about these in my Japanese art history class. I never imagined I'd get to see these in my entire life!! Oh i love art museums!

This is a beautiful Mary Cassatt piece. She was a famous impressionist painter known for her paintings of mothers and children. She is my high school art teachers favorite artist.

I about died when I saw this chair. Back at Utah State I had to build a chair out of cardboard for a 3D design class and this was the EXACT chair I modeled mine after. I'm not sure why but I just love it so much! Designed by Charles Rohlfs.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Very neat- that looks like an amazing museum!